Today News
A+ A A-

The Protector

If the claims of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption holds true, then no less than 30 congressmen will be endorsing the impeachment complaint against Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, in which case they would be needing only around 68 signatures to avoid suffering the same fate as that of the Duterte impeachment complaint filed by Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano.
According to lawyers Ferdinand Topacio and Jing Paras, while they have yet to finalize the draft of the complaint, they have already talked to 30 solons, all of whom have said yes.
Foremost among the the complaints being contemplated by the group is betrayal of public trust, which stems from Morales’ brand of selective justice. And included as ground is the case filed by relatives of 44 Special Action Force killed in a controversial police operation in 2015, wherein Morales absolved former President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino.
In July 2015, investigators of the Office of the Ombudsman said they found no evidence that would point to Aquino’s accountability over the incident, even if it was established in the congressional inquiries called for it that it bore the blessings of the former commander-in-chief.
Actually, it’s not the only case wherein Morales is being questioned. According to House Minority Leader Danilo Suarez, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre had confided to him that there are at least 120 cases in the past six years which have yet to be filed. And those allegedly involved mainly cases concerning allies of the former administration.
But when it comes to cases involving perceived opponents of the former administration, Morales is said to deal such cases with blinding speed, sending the accused to jail, disregarding procedures.
And just the other day, Aguirre had a clash of opinion with Morales when the latter declared she would oppose by all means the former’s effort to utilize suspected principal player in the multi-billion peso pork scam, Janet Napoles as a state witness.
In response to Morales’ threat, Aguirre insisted it is the authority of of his agency, the Department of Justice, to place respondents who are undergoing a preliminary investigation under the Witness Protection Program.
Interestingly, Morales made the threat after Napoles’ counsel Stephen David said in a television program Aquino and last Monday that his client has mentioned former Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas as those implicated in the Priority Development Assistance Fund who were not mentioned in the earlier list of individuals in the earlier affidavit Napoles submitted during the previous administration.
And just yesterday, David pointed to Aquino’s Budget Secretary Butch Abad as Napoles’ mentor.
In opposing the proposal to use Napoles as state witness, Morales claims David’s client cannot qualify as such as she is one of the principal accused in the multi-million pork barrel scam.
I’m no lawyer but isn’t it that since the prok barrel is a public fund, Napoles, being a private businesswoman, can only play her part as to the extent the one responsible for the disbursement of the fund, in this case, the Department of Budget and Management, would want her to play. In other words, it would be a corrupt government official who would be the one calling the shots in the prok scam.
Anyway, I am no lawyer and I am no representative of the court, thus, I am in no position to determine who’s the least guilty in this case.
Also, last month, Morales ruled out Aquino’s responsibility over the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) which accounts for P150 billion in public funds realigned and disbursed during the Aquino administration in the guise of savings. The DAP, which was bared by former Senator Jinggoy Estrada in a privilege speech, is said to have been used to reward senators who voted to convict the late Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona.
And aside from absolving Aquino, Morales simply gave Abad a slap on the wrist for his responsibility over the controversial fund.
If the allegations against Morales are deemed to be true, then clearly, the Ombudsman is not only serving as the chief attack dog of her appointing officer, but his biggest protector as well, as she has shielded him so well in possible legal battles coming his way, some of which would send him behind bars with no chance for temporary liberty.
And this has to end right now as no less than President Rodrigo Duterte had promised change under his administration. And what change would be more suitable than to correct history which has been grossly distorted by his predecessor.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated.Basic HTML code is allowed.

Commentary

Headlines

Nation

Metro

Sports

Life Style

Etcetera

Motoring

business

Copyright 2000-2012 All rights reserved, The Daily Tribune Publishing Inc.