At least 14 persons have died while 13 others went missing and more than 100,000 individuals were displaced by flooding and landslides that hit some parts of Mindanao due to non-stop heavy rains brought about by a low pressure area (LPA) since Friday.
Reports from the Office of Civil Defense-XI showed that seven persons were confirmed dead when a landslide struck in Tarragona town, Davao Oriental, last Sunday.
Five persons died in Barangay Bangol, while at least one was killed in Barangay Tubaon, both in Tarragona town.
Another victim died after being swept by a flash flood in Barangay Marayag, Lupon town, Davao Oriental.
In Compostela Valley province, six persons also died due to landslide brought about by continued heavy rains.
Five people went missing also in the province.
In Caraga, at least one person died of drowning. Seven persons were also reported missing in the area. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in its situation report, said the number of affected persons already reached 26,801 families or 132,379 individuals.
Of the number, 23,000 families were from eight municipalities previously affected by typhoon “Pablo.”
Compostela Valley registered 1,566 families affected and Davao del Norte, 1,154 families.
The local disaster unit said 79 evacuation centers were activated to shelter the rising number of evacuees.
Eighty six barangays in 26 municipalities in 10 provinces of Region X, XI, and Caraga were flooded.
The NDRRMC said the floods rendered impassable 22 roads and 13 bridges.
It added the Saug River in Asuncion and Libungan River in Kapalong, both in Davao del Norte, had already overflowed causing waist-deep floods in places along the rivers.
Several bridges and public infrastructure sustained damages while a total of 8,284 hectares of agricultural crops were damaged.
The NDRRMC said that a total of 113 houses were totally damaged while 138 houses partially damaged.