Today News
A+ A A-
Angie M. Rosales

Sotto bares more auto poll rackets

Thursday, 15 March 2018 00:00 Published in Headlines

True to his promise, Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III bared more alleged irregularities that took place during the 2016 national elections which could alter an estimated nearly two million of votes.

Sotto delivered a second privilege speech yesterday baring more irregularities in the automated election system (AES) in the most recent national polls as he questioned the existence of four so-called “queueing servers” in the AES, and the timing of its use days after the May 9, 2016, elections.
Citing his source, Sotto said logs from domain name service (DNS) servers showed from May 10 to 11, vote-counting machines (VCM) “did not go straight to the consolidating canvassing system (CCS), instead they went through either one of the 4 ‘queueing servers’ before reaching the CCS.”

He also questioned the establishment of seven regional hubs, where malfunctioning VCMs and SD cards are fixed, one week before the polls.
“These hubs did not go through any prior inspections from the representatives of political parties or other stakeholders. Also, during the elections, the activities done in these hubs were not witnessed by poll watchers and other representations,” Sotto said.
His source also claimed that the Comelec resolution creating these hubs was “not signed” by its commissioners.
Sotto, in pressing for a full-blown Senate investigation on the purported poll fraud and dared the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and technology provider Smartmatic to refute his claims.
“In the observance of fairness and due process, the Comelec and Smartmatic can fully and appropriately present their side in a full-blown Senate hearing. It is the proper venue to answer these allegations and to educate us on what really transpired in the 2016 elections,” Sotto said in delivering his second privilege speech on the matter.
“To those who are criticizing my aired concerns and to those offering excuses, particularly if you are involved in tapping Smartmatic in 2015, don’t butt in and just submit the logs that I exposed so we can understand each opther,” he said.
The senator was referring to his privilege speech last week where he disclosed the alleged questionable transmission of election results to various levels of board of canvassers even before actual poll exercise could formally open last May 9, 2016.
Based on the information given to him, the “transmission logs” would show that six national candidates benefitted from in the apparent fraudulent early transmissions.
Sotto, in taking the floor anew, claimed that four additional “queuing” servers, on top of the then two servers functioning during the elections, which was used by all vote counting machines (VCMs) and consolidating canvassing system (CCS).
Mysterious ‘queueing’ servers
“Suddenly, on May 10 to 11, the rules changed in the middle of the game. For some unknown reason, the transmissions from the VCMs did not go straight to the to the CCS but instead went through either one of the four ‘queueing servers’ before reaching the CCS,” he said.
In the information technology world, a queuing server is a device to organized and line up all the incoming data to make sure that what goes in will be sent out so no data is left behind, Sotto said.
“The question now is, how relevant and crucial is this queuing server? Is it that vital, that the engineers were willing to risk a possible data loss or crashing of an ongoing system by installing a new device in the middle of the transmission process? As we can see, despite having these quieting servers, the results were still not equal among all servers,” he said.
The majority leader claimed that a Namfrel report for the 2016 national and local elections which found the integrity of the automated election system (AES) was undermined due to the intrusion into the transparency server while the system was actively receiving electronic transmissions.
The said report also mentioned a “fourth server” located at a previously undisclosed location.
Sotto said it was only discovered in 2016 from the admission of Smarmatic’s project director Marlon Garcia during the preliminary investigation conducted by the Manila Prosecutor’s Office for a case filed by former Rep. Jonathan de la Cruz.
“Smartmatic may say that they deemed it prudent to install these queuing servers to ensure the accuracy of the transmissions. But why install such on May 10-11 only? The transmissions made after the elections on May 9-10 went well, I suppose, without this queuing servers. Also, the bulk of the transmissions happened on May 9-10. If indeed these queuing servers are of any help then these should have been there from the beginning,” Sotto said.
“I am really perplexed by these four queuing servers. Is this some kind of a back up system to troubleshoot a problem due to the surge of data all at the same time? I don’t think so because from the time they design the process, the engineers more or less know the bandwidths and data capacity of the servers, alam na nila ito from the start!
“Also, it is very complex to set up another server, so this cannot be a last minute decision. This second server has been set up and ready to be plugged at the last stretch of the transmission phase. Can the Comelec provide us with a resolution showing that this second server was also tested? Because as far as I know, there is no second server in the Comelec issued process,” he said.
Citing his source, the senator was told that that “the reason for the temporary halt in the transmission of votes that we witnessed in the wee hours of May 10-11, were caused by the restarting of the malfunctioning queue servers.”
Sotto als revealed “untransmitted” 3.86 percent of election returns which was equivalent to 1.7 million votes that he said are “very crucial to ongoing electoral protests.”
The Comelec Transparency Server, among the 3 servers that receive ERs from VCMs, received only 96.14 percent of election returns while he Comelec Central Server, meanwhile, got 96.69 percent of ERs.
The untransmitted returns stored in memory cards in VCMs were manually tallied and uploaded to complete the vote counts, the senator said.
Sotto also cited the report of the National Citizens’ Movement for Free Elections (Namfrel) on the 2016 polls that said “further clarification is needed as to the guideline that was observed by Comelec on the chain of custody of these SD (secure digital) cards.”
“Also, were the political parties, accredited citizen’s arm allowed or were asked to observe the manual tallying of these 3.86 percent untransmitted votes?” headded.
Sotto invited Comelec officials and Smartmatic representatives to attend a “full-blown” Senate hearing to present their side “in the observance of fairness and due process.”

Noynoy, et al. face more criminal cases

Wednesday, 14 March 2018 00:00 Published in Headlines


Former President Benigno Aquino is now hounded by his having committed ceiminal acts and may be facing in the near future additional cases but with his protector, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales, already out of her office by then.
The chair of the Senate blue ribbon committee, Sen. Richard Gordon, during the Dengvaxia hearing yesterday, broadly hinted at charges to be recommended and filed by relatives of their kin who died due to Dengvaxia. The charges will be filed against former President Aquino, et al., on reckless imprudence and murder among many other charges that may still be filed.
Gordon said that Aquino’s personally meeting Sanofi executives in Paris, going by the earlier testimonies, hastened his government’s P3.8-billion Dengvaxia purchase and this, in spite of Sanofi having been warned about Dengvaxia even before mass immunization had occurred in the country.
Criminal charges have to be recommended since the criminal acts were “deliberate.”
“You are responsible for all the acts. This is serious. The former president should really get somebody to explain his role here,” Gordon said.
“I can tell you already that at the very least, there’s a dereliction of duty. There’s negligence, bad faith, violations of the procurement law,” he said.
“You are all responsible for acts that you made even if it’s not intended, if your acts are harmful to others, you are still responsible. I’m not happy with this. I am not happy but I really believe that they are responsible. I go by the evidence,” Gordon further said.
The senator, however, emphasized that the committee will not make such recommendations but the families of children or those who died due to alleged Dengvaxia vaccine can go as far as filing such charges.
“We can recommend but this may not be followed. This is why the Ombudsman and the Secretary of Justice or his representatives should be here during Senate investigations,” Gordon said.
The senator, before wrapping up the proceedings, noted the apparent deliberate moves to acquire Dengvaxia toward the latter part of the Aquino administration and there was an alleged undue haste in the release of funds, over P3 billion, prior to the 2016 elections.

It cannot be helped that there is some correlation in the purchase of the vaccine with the 2016 national polls whether to make money or receive kickbacks or even earn brownie points for the administration then, the senator said.
The senator did not mince words in alluding to the former president as possibly being responsible for the mess, saying that former Department of Health (DoH) Secretary Janette Garin could not have initiated everything.
“There are indications of this. You can also see that almost immediately after the former president appointed her (Garin) the transactions followed quickly,” he told reporters after the hearing.
He echoed his pronouncements of the proceedings saying that “Garin could be the captain but it is the Commander in Chief that gives the signal for the P3.8 billion for the procurement of the vaccines and P4.5 billion for other projects.”
Gordon noted that over P10 billion was actually released by the previous administration to the vaccine project which included also barangay clinics in the schools with a size of only 43 square meters.
“Somebody has to be held responsible. Who pushed the button? Who said ‘let’s do this?’ Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead,” he said.
The senator did not exclude former DoH Secretary Paulyn Ubial, an appointee of President Duterte who continued the project, insofar as liability is concerned.
He stressed though that the accountability should include even higher.
“The people who pushed the button, the (former) president) budget minister, health secretary and all the people who went for the ride, they disregarded conditions, they disregarded protocols even violating procurement provision and in the process hurt the young people of this country,” he said.
Gordon also addressed Sanofi’s representative Thomas Triomphe saying that there “was really a microwave, was really a supersonic high performance engine that was really trying to push your product down our throats.”
“In other words, it was being forced fed upon my country. I’m sorry that’s how I feel,” he said.
“That’s not the case your honor but I understand that’s how you feel,” Triomphe said.
Appearing in the last Senate hearing on Dengvaxia, an American dengue expert, Dr. Scott Halstead told the committee that both Sanofi and the Philippine government were forewarned about Dengvaxia long before the mass immunization took place in the country some two years ago.
“I was quite astonished and quite upset, the mass immunization was going forward,” he said to the committee, recalling the time when he issued the warning against Dengvaxia in March 2016 being administered to those who had not been infected with the dengue virus.
Sanofi only acknowledged Halstead’s position in Nov. 2017 after an independent panel of experts from all over the world, the Independent Data Monitoring Committee (IDMC) came to the same conclusion.
The government carried out the program in April 2016 but Triomphe claimed that they learned about the so-called risk only in late 2017.
Also during the hearing, Halstead crushed hopes of those planning to sue Sanofi based on the findings of forensic experts of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) saying that the conduct of autopsy will not yield any information showing that Dengvaxia caused the death of those given the anti-dengue vaccine.
“Please be aware that the diagnosis of Dengvaxia cannot be based on an autopsy,” Dr. Scott Halstead, an expert on dengue disease and who has been studying vaccines since 1957, told Senate probers Tuesday.
“There are a lot of autopsies being done now because unfortunately children die for one reason or another after vaccine. This is a very old phenomenon. I’ve been in the vaccine business forever, there’s always a problem like this, he added.
Halstead was asked by Sen. JV Ejercito, during the concluding public investigation in the Senate on the controversial Dengvaxia vaccine, on the feasibility of arriving at such findings by the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) forensic team.
Ejercito took up the matter apparently in reference to reports where the PAO, which is investigating the deaths allegedly linked to Dengvaxia, had claimed of finding a supposed pattern that led to the deaths of at least five children who received Dengvaxia.
“In any child who died post Dengvaxia (vaccination), there has to be two things. One is an unequivocal evidence that the infection was caused by dengue virus. The second one is we need to know whether the vaccine in that particular individual was given when the individual was seronegative or seropositive,” Halstead said.
Seronegative refer to those who had never been infected with dengue virus.
Studies that came out late last year showed that Dengvaxia, when administered to those seronegative individuals are likely to have severe dengue if infected by the mosquito-borne virus.
The US-based scientist said that from what he has gathered so far, the actual vaccine Dengvaxia manufactured by French pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur “does not cause any illness whatsoever.”
Halstead noted the similarity on the measles vaccine when it was market in the US some 40 to 50 years ago.
“What happened there was, two years after the measles vaccines were given, two (persons) acquired measles but it wasn’t just ordinary measles, it was a very severe measles that ended in death,” he said.
“So we’ve encountered this phenomenon before. But here is a much bigger group of people exposed. We don’t want to have available vaccine where people inadvertently receive antibodies that are going to be detrimental,” he added.
There actually was a test that Sanofi has developed and which can actually tell whether an individual who was given a Dengavaxia is seronegative or seropositive, Halstead said.
It’s available in several laboratory but not yet in the Philippines, unfortunately.
“Would you say that the present Dengvaxia vaccine is safe and effective?” Ejercito asked.
“The only available (anti-dengue vaccine) in the market is Dengvaxia. It’s effective in protecting people who had prior Dengue, yes. It’s not effective in preventing disease in people who are seronegative at the time they’re vaccinated,” Halstead said.
Aquino earlier denied that the implementation of the Dengvaxia mass immunization was rushed.
“The end result if that if you do not do this at this point in time, you are practically saying that the first implementation of this vaccine will be in 2017 because it will be for the next budget cycle, which will be under the new administration,” he said when he attended the hearing on December 14.
Senator Gordon stressed that the government did not undertake due diligence when it implemented the mass immunization.
‘This sad part of our history will never be repeated by the very sentinel, by the very guardians, of our health, the Department of Health,’ Gordon said.
After 7 hearings, Senator Gordon terminated yesterday the probe into the controversy surrounding the government’s purchase of P3.5 billion worth of dengue vaccine doses, used in a mass immunization program for public school students.
“We shall now adjourn these hearings on Dengvaxia and the report will be forthcoming. You can be assured, and I think you know already, this will be a hard-hitting report with the end in view that this sad part of our history will never be repeated again by the very sentinel, by the very guardians, of our health, the Department of Health,” said Gordon, chair of the Senate blue ribbon committee.
The hearings were held jointly with the Senate committee on health and demography and the committee on finance.

Cha-cha not likely to be finished by Oct. — Kiko

Wednesday, 14 March 2018 00:00 Published in Nation

Despite the marathon deliberations in the Senate and the possibility of floor debates taking place in June, the matter of putting in place the proposed Charter change (Cha-cha) for plebiscite in October is unlikely to be realized, Sen. Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan yesterday said.

“It’s too tight. And I don’t think I should be done posthate,” he said.
“I think October timetable is too short for us, assuming that we go to Cha-cha and have it presented to the public by October this year with far reaching effects,” Pangilinan, chairman of the committee constitutional amendments and revision of codes, added.
As a courtesy to the consultative committee created by President Duterte which is reviewing amendments to the 1987 Constitution and led by former Supreme Court Chief Justice Reynato Puno, the senator said his committee would like to hear them out, even out of courtesy to the move of the Chief Executive.
The committee is set to conduct further hearings especially as there appears to be strong opposition against a no-election (no-el) scenario in the course of amending or revising the Constitution.
Former Senate President Aquilino “Nene” Pimentel Jr. joined eight other resource persons in rejecting a no-election scenario when asked to provide inputs at a Senate hearing Tuesday on proposed Cha cha.
“I do not support any move to defer the election set for May 2019,” Pimentel who is part of the 25-man consultative committee, told senators.
Pimentel, father of incumbent Senate President Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III, “a no-election scenario would unduly prolong the exercise of powers and privileges even of undeserving elective officials, and deprive those who may be more deserving of elective public offices from having the opportunity to seek the mandate of the people to serve them.”


Loss of trust and confidence in JBC

19-03-2018 Ninez Cacho-Olivares

Loss of  trust and confidence in JBC

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales is on her way out in ...

UN scheme to save forests ‘can trample o…

19-03-2018 AFP and Tribune Wires

UN scheme to save forests ‘can trample on tribal rights’

PARIS — The only UN-approved financial mechanism to cur...


19-03-2018 Aldrin Cardona


  What protection have we in these times of uncertaint...


19-03-2018 Dinah S. Ventura


  A series of disturbing news lately has made me far m...

Revival of Dead Sea with Red Sea canal e…

19-03-2018 AFP and Tribune Wires

Revival of Dead Sea with Red Sea canal edges closer to reality

GHOR AL-HADITHA, Jordan — Israel and Jordan have long p...

House call 2.0: Women GPs bring remote c…

19-03-2018 AFP and Tribune Wires

House call 2.0: Women GPs bring remote care to rural Pakistan

  BHOSA MANSEHRA — In a remote northern Pakistani vi...






Life Style




Unit 102, 1020 Bel-Air apartment, Roxas Blvd, Ermita, Manila Copyright 2000-2017 All rights reserved, The Daily Tribune Publishing Inc.