Group of farmers blames smugglers, illegal traders for artificial garlic shortage - Wednesday, 17 September 2014
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00 Published in Nation
The military yesterday vowed to continue forced evacuation of thousands of residents still staying within the danger zones of Mayon Volcano which continued to show signs of probable eruption.
Maj. Gen. Ricardo Visaya, commander of the military’s Southern Luzon Command (Solcom), said that as of 11 a.m. Wednesday Alert Level 3 was still in effect along the vicinity of Mayon Volcano.
Visaya said that a total of 2,222 families composed of 10,593 individuals have already been evacuated from the six- to eight-kilometer permanent and extended danger zones.
Most of those already evacuated were living within the six-kilometer permanent danger zone. We gave priority to them because they face higher risks because of their proximity to the volcano,” said Visaya.
Visaya said that after clearing the six-kilometer permanent danger zone of residents, the military will proceed to evacuate those in the extended danger zone in compliance to the order of Albay Gov. Joey Salceda.
The government is targeting 10,555 families or some 51,625 persons who are staying within the permanent and extended danger zones.
Of the number, only 2,898 families composed of 15,049 people from 40 barangays are living within the permanent danger zone.
As of press time yesterday, Visaya said that the forced evacuation, which started Monday, was going on smoothly.
“No recorded casualty and untoward incidents. Evacuation is very orderly,” said Visaya.
Visaya said that the ongoing evacuation will continue until the situation improves or when authorities declare safety along the slopes of Mayon Volcano.
“As much as possible, AFP troops will evacuate all affected families particularly in danger zones. Operation will only cease when situation no longer permit evacuation,” said Visaya.
Of those evacuated, 282 families composed of 846 persons came from Tabaco City; Guinobatan, 1,144 families or 5,933 individuals; Camalig with 378 or 1,680 people; Ligao City with 18 families or 54 persons, and Malilipot with 400 families or 2,080 people.
Wednesday, 17 September 2014 00:00 Published in Nation
PHIVOLCS RAISES ALERT LEVEL 3
Forced evacuation was ordered yesterday within Mayon Volcano’s danger zone, affecting more than 10,000 families, as the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) raised Alert Level 3 due to monitored increased abnormal volcanic activities.
Maj. Gen. Ricardo Visaya, commander of the military’s Southern Luzon Command (Solcom), said that 40 barangays were affected by the forced evacuation ordered by Albay Gov. Joey Salceda to prevent casualty in the event of a violent eruption by Mayon Volcano.
The forced evacuation is targeting about 10,000 families living within the six- to eight-kilometer permanent and extended danger zones.
“Forced evacuation will continue on 40 barangays within the five- to eight-kilometer danger zone with more or less 10,000 families today (Tuesday),” Visaya said.
There were reports that about 12,000 residents were evacuated to safer ground on Monday.
Visaya said that more than 50 military trucks were mobilized to lead the evacuation of the affected residents living along the slopes of Mayon, which was declared in critical status by Phivolcs since Monday night when the alert status was raised to Level 3.
Aside from the military trucks, Visaya said that Air Force UH-1H helicopters were dispatched from Tactical Operations Group-5 (TOG-5) headquarters in Legazpi City to conduct aerial survey within the vicinity of Mayon Volcano.
“Military vehicles have been readied for forced evacuation that will start this afternoon. There are 60 affected barangays now,” said Visaya.
“So far there is no recorded opposition to the plan (forced evacuation),” he added.
Visaya said that the forced evacuation was in compliance to the order of Salceda.
“Governor Salceda ordered forced evacuation on all settlers and enforce the ‘no human activity’ inside the six-kilometer PDZ (permanent danger zone),” said Visaya.
Visaya said that the military, particularly the 901st Brigade headed by Col. Raul Farnacio, is in close coordination with the local government units, the Office of Civil Defense-5 and other concerned agencies in implementing the evacuation.
Authorities have warned residents living along the northeast portion of Mayon Volcano, particularly those from the towns of Malilipot and Sto. Domingo, which are now under the state of calamity, to be on alert for possible ash fall.
The 2,460-meter Mayon has a long history of deadly eruptions.
In 1814 more than 1,200 people were killed when lava flows buried the town of Cagsawa.
An explosion in August 2006 did not cause direct deaths, but four months later a passing typhoon unleashed an avalanche of volcanic mud from Mayon’s slopes that killed 1,000 people. With AFP
Wednesday, 17 September 2014 00:00 Published in Metro
The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) yesterday branded the transfer of retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan to a military jail facility as “homecoming” and an insult to thousands of victims of his abuses during his active days in the service.
“The CPP condemns in the strongest terms possible the transfer of the fascist butcher Palparan to military detention in Fort Bonifacio,” the CPP said in a statement.
“Palparan’s transfer to the military headquarters is a grave insult to the thousands victimized by military abuses committed by the soldiers and paramilitary forces he commanded,” it added.
On Monday, Judge Teodora Gonzales of the Bulacan Regional Trial Court Branch 14 granted the petition of Palparan to be transferred to the Army Custodial Center (ACC) from the Bulacan Provincial Jail.
Immediately, Palparan, a retired two-star Army general, was taken out of the provincial jail and was brought to Fort Bonifacio.
“Palparan’s homecoming is only the latest privilege accorded him by the Aquino regime since his arrest last August. Under his military custodians, Palparan is bound to enjoy even more liberties and special treatment,” the CPP said.
“The Filipino people demand justice for all the abuses committed by General Palparan and his men. They continue to look towards the revolutionary system as the ultimate option to achieve their quest,” it added.
The CPP said Palparan has been indicted before the people’s courts for his direct responsibility for scores of murders and abductions of unarmed activists as well as other military abuses and grave violations of international humanitarian law.
“The standing order for General Palparan’s arrest remains in effect and will be carried out by the New People’s Army (NPA) at an opportune time in the future,” the CPP said.
Palparan is accused of kidnapping and serious illegal detention in connection with the disappearance of University of the Philippines students Karen Empeno and Sherlyn Cadapan in 2006.
Palparan was arrested by combined elements of the military’s Task Force Runway and the National Bureau of Investigation last Aug. 12 and was committed to the Bulacan Provincial Jail last Aug. 18.
However, Palparan expressed serious concern about his safety and security inside the provincial jail and filed for a transfer of detention.
At the Army Custodial Center, Palparan reunited with his co-accused, former Lt. Col. Felipe Anotado.
18-09-2014 Tribune Editorial
The “reactionary” administration of Noynoy took two ste...
18-09-2014 Ninez Cacho-Olivares
Sometime ago, Budget secretary admitted, after having b...
18-09-2014 AFP and Tribune Wires
CARACAS — Despite sitting atop the world’s largest oil ...
18-09-2014 Atty.Rico Paolo R. Quicho
The request of President BS Aquino to be granted emerge...
18-09-2014 Louie Logarta
The Indian federal government is reportedly finalizing ...
18-09-2014 Archbishop Oscar V.Cruz
This is about a some two-inch round shaped pin with the...
ASIDE FROM DAP, BUDGET ALLOCATION FOR P1-B EDIFICE A portio…
Vice President Jejomar Binay will not give credence to those…
Senate President Franklin Drilon yesterday shot down any pos…
China’s state-controlled media have turned up the heat on P…
Time to resign, Dinky Soliman.Department of Social Welfare S…
Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla indicated yesterday the cer…
ABAD FAILS TO ACCOUNT FOR P10.8-B DAP FOR CONGRESSMEN More…
President Aquino has sought approval from both chambers of C…
At yesterday’s bail hearing of Sen. Jinggoy Estrada, princip…
President Aquino and the Palace want the public to keep gues…