The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has barred 15 party-list groups, including the Kapatiran ng mga Nakakulong na Walang Sala (Kakusa), from participating in the May 2013 polls.
“We are canceling their accreditation, therefore, they can no longer participate in the 2013 party-list elections,” said Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes.
Kakusa is currently represented by Rep. Ranulfo Canonigo.
Also cancelled by the poll body are the party-list groups of AGRI; Akma-PTM; AKO Agila; AKO Bahay; Bantay; Pacyaw; PM Masda; Cofa; Araro; Katutubo; and OPO, bringing the total number of party-list groups with existing registrations that have been cancelled to 28.
The poll body also denied the registration of new applicants RAM Guardians; Alyansa Para sa Demokrasya; and Association of Airline and Airport Workers.
“Their applications were denied by the divisions and the commission en banc already affirmed the decision,” Brillantes said.
However, the resolutions of the respective groups’ case were not yet available at the moment.
He noted that the groups can file an appeal before Supreme Court (SC).
Brillantes also said they expect to complete the review and deliberations of all the 87 remaining groups with existing accreditation before the end of the month.
“Our target is Oct. 30 to complete all of the existing,” he said.
At the same time, the poll chairman said more than half of the 84 Senate aspirants who filed their certificates of candidacy for the May 2013 polls will be disqualified.
Brillantes added that the poll body has finished its deliberations and would release the final list of official candidates anytime soon.
Two weeks ago, the poll body approved the candidacies of 27 senatorial aspirants.
Last week, it conducted a hearing on the 57 other senatorial hopefuls whose CoCs were initially disapproved.