Friday, 24 May 2013 08:00 Published in Metro
Quezon City Police District (QCPD) operatives are conducting a thorough investigation to determine the involvement of two alleged members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) in the robbery of an auto parts shop along Mindanao Avenue Extension in Quezon City last Wednesday night.
Based on records, PSG Marvin Gaton and PSG Bobby Atis were positively identified by some witnesses as among those who robbed the auto shop.
According to Senior Insp. Noel Calayan, chief of the QCPD Station 5 for operations, the two PSG men were arrested after responding policemen noticed one of them was carrying a gun which was a clear violation of the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections.
The gun ban is still in effect up to next month.
Gaton and Atis introduced themselves as members of the PSG but they were still arrested because of the gun ban. Gaton even presented his PSG identification card.
During police search, the operatives also recovered from their vehicles a .45 caliber pistol and a rifle.
Deputy presidential spokesman Abigail Valte said the PSG is fully cooperating with the police and assured them that no whitewash will take place.
Valte also claimed they will not tolerate any wrongdoings of their men.
The owner of the auto shop identified as Richard Tubig also confirmed the two PSG men were among those who raided his shop and took some valuables.
The suspects are facing gun ban violation and robbery charges.
A manhunt operation was launched for the arrest of their five alleged cohorts.
Wednesday, 22 May 2013 08:00 Published in Metro
National Capital Region Police Office (NCPRO) Director Leonardo Espina yesterday warned the public against P10 million worth of defective electrical China products that were seized last week.
Espina said members of the NCRPO’s Regional Police Investigation Operating Unit raided three warehouses in the Binondo area and found boxes of defective sockets, emergency lights, extension wires, lamps and flashlights amounting to P10 million.
Investigation showed the raided warehouses are owned by 13 people, including a Chinese identified as Jonathan Hou.
The raiding teams were armed with a search warrant issued by Judge Zaldy Docena of the Malabon Regional Trial Court Branch 170 after a concerned citizen sought their help.
The police operatives conducted a test-buy and the purchased products were submitted to the Department of Trade and Industry that also certified the products were expired and recycled.
Espina last Monday presented to the media the four truckloads of electronic products confiscated from the warehouses.
“Let the safety and security of students be our priority as the school year starts and let us also help in the campaign of the Bureau of Fire Protection by encouraging house or apartment owners not to use substandard electrical products which we know are fire hazards,” he said in a statement.
He added the seized substandard electrical products were supposed to be distributed to retailers nationwide.
Espina ordered his men to press charges in relation to Republic Act 7394 (Consumers Protection Act) against the owners of warehouses who were not around during the raid and remained at large as of Monday.
If found guilty, they may face imprisonment ranging from two months to a year or a fine of up to P10,000.
Espina, meanwhile, said buyers who end up with defective electrical products should immediately inform the trade department or go to the nearest police station.
A Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) commander yesterday said they will file protests against the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) for manipulating their attacks and burned houses of MILF members in Cotabato City last Thursday.
MILF 108th base commander Hadji Mansur said in a post on the MILF Web site that the followers of MNLF’s Datu Diman Ambil burned many houses owned by MILF members during the attack in Barangay Marbel in Matalam town.
Although the MILF said it repelled the MNLF assault, another attack occurred in the afternoon, with the Army’s 602nd Infantry Brigade backing up the MNLF forces.
Mansur said they will file their protests on MNLF attack which was backed-up by the military.
The MILF said Ambil’s forces appeared to assault their relatives with the MILF forces under Mansur.
Mansur described the afternoon attack as a “blatant ceasefire violation” by the military.
He added that the military should suppose to be non-partisan and must not be one-sided.
The MILF added that the 602nd Infantry Brigade had been put up as buffer force “on their insistence,” following the first encounter between the MNLF and MILF forces in same area last May 5.
Intervention by the government and MILF ceasefire committees and the International Monitoring Team stopped the fighting last May 5.
Both sides agreed to resolve their mis-understanding through peaceful means after the May 13 elections.
26-05-2013 Ninez Cacho-Olivares
Most of the time, it always is good for the nation when...
WASHINGTON — After a landmark visit by Myanmar’s leader...
26-05-2013 Louie Logarta
It appears that Customs Deputy Commissioner Horacio Sua...
26-05-2013 Larry Faraon
Controversial international novelist Dan Brown of the D...
26-05-2013 Archbishop Oscar V.Cruz
It is good to note well and to be much aware that there...
25-05-2013 Ninez Cacho-Olivares
There is so much hypocrisy in Malacañang and the Libera...
A strong tornado ravaged an urban village in …
President Aquino wants to make sure assistanc…
Trade Union Congress of the Philippines-Inter…
President Aquino wants to make sure assistanc…
Re-elected Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama has v…
Re-elected Ifugao Rep. Teddy Brawner Baguilat…
Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Ejercito…
Some P55 million will be released by the Depa…
The BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PF-16), the country’s …
Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. yesterday said …