A senior prison official of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) has resigned after he was ordered to go on leave pending investigation on his alleged involvement in illegal drug transactions inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City.
Chief Supt. Rolando Asuncion (ret.), deputy director of BuCor, said he opted to resign instead of taking a leave of absence because he wanted to leave BuCor with a clear conscience.
“I opted to resign than let them smear me (Nag-resign na lang ako kesa sirain nila ako lalo),” Asunion told reporters.
He said BuCor Director Benjamin de los Santos told him that he should take a leave of absence on orders of Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II following information that he allegedly received money from illegal drug trade inside prison and that he accepted a car from a high profile inmate.
“These allegations are not true,” Asuncion said who had been the BuCor’s director officer-in-charge before he was replaced by de los Santos last November.
“I just would like you to know Sir that I will leave BuCor with a clear conscience and it is my wish for you to have the same pride and posture when your time as Secretary of Justice ends,” he said in his resignation letter to Aguirre.
Asuncion said he would welcome any investigation that will be conducted against him.
Aguirre, however, denied he ordered an investigation of Asuncion.
“As of this moment, there is no pending investigation against Deputy Director Asuncion. We have just received a copy of his resignation but it is the Office of the President who will act on it,” Aguirre said in a text message to reporters.
Asuncion said he would welcome any action by the government. He assumed office as BuCor officer-in-charge last July 19. He continued with the galugad or series of raids where cash, drugs and firearms were seized.